Sunday 16th May started in fair weather conditions, with 34 Auto Collectors Club of Murray Bridge (ACCMB) members and 7 guests meeting at their Johnstone Park clubrooms to receive the days run details from the run coordinators, John & Vicki Courtney along with Graham & Maureen Edwards.
With the day’s direction sheet handed out, members started their engines before making their way down Adelaide road in their 13 classic and 6 modern vehicles.
The route went through Bridge St, onto Karoonda Rd, along Bow Hill Rd, before arriving at Bow Hill reserve with 2 to 3 more groups meeting the convoy along the way.
The new Bow Hill store did good business with some of the group, who were suitably impressed with the new building near the banks of the “Mighty Murray”.
With appetites satisfied, it was time for the group to make their way to Karoonda via the little township of Perponda, before arriving at the Karoonda “Pioneer Park” museum.
After a COVID 19 check in by all present, the gold coin admission donation taken care of, ACCMB members Dick and Judith Cheriton welcomed all present, outlining the attractions to see, and for many it was their first visit.
Of particular interest to member Graham Edwards, was the old restored Wynarka Methodist Church, built in 1913, and dedicated by the Rev. John Blackett. This was the first church in the district.
Graham’s parents were married in the church in 1939, while Graham was christened in 1943 and proceeded to attend Sunday School for some years later.
Other members, John and wife Vicki Courtney spent much time reminiscing the quaint telephone exchange, bringing back memories as to the way John in his former working life with the PMG kept this telephone exchange at Karoonda in service and around Australia on line, and Vicki as a telephonist in many country Sth Australian towns including Seymour in Victoria, a far cry from today’s modern telephone network.
Other members and guests walked around the complex chewing the fat of yesteryears gone by, while looking at the variety of exhibits on show. Many of these buildings had been brought in from outlying towns, now only a name on the map, and reconstructed by the great band of volunteers.
As members completed their tour of the museum, it was up to the main street to view the towns much acclaimed silos in daylight.
With the cool evening beginning to come in, many ACCMB members and guests returned to the museum shed to enjoy their BYO evening meal in warmer conditions, discussing the events of the day out.
As evening darkness fell, it was back to the main street of Karoonda to view the evening’s light show on the silos, by artist Stephen Trebilcock, depicting native Flora and Fauna.
On completion of the impressive Silo Art show, it was back home to Murray Bridge and surrounding districts, hoping not to encounter any stray kangaroos who may be out and about for a “hopping mad evening” Many thanks from the members and guests must go to museum volunteers, Dick & Judith Cheriton and former Karoonda East Murray Mayor, Kevin Burdett for their help and hospitality during the days visit, not forgetting the Courtney’s & Edwards’s organizing of the day for another outing with a difference.