The Federation of Historic Motor Vehicles proposed a “Drive Your Old Vehicle Day” for the 1st September each year.
On a fine day, 9 vehicles departed from the Clubrooms at 9:35 a.m. via the northern gate of Johnston Park and proceeded along Adelaide Road to Mannum Road/Swanport Road intersection where they turned left and journeyed towards Mannum, taking another left turn onto the Palmer Road. Arriving at the Palmer Oval complex, we had our “cuppa” and enjoyed a chat with some of our newer members.
On leaving Palmer (via the olive plantation), we drove on to Mannum where we congregated at Arnold Park, adjacent to the ferries. Here we met up with three more members and their vehicles. Tables and chairs were set up on the banked lawn area of the River Murray for our midday meal in the sunshine.
Lunch over, we departed Mannum and travelled via Mary Ann Reserve to Mannum Waters, cruising the area and taking in the sights prior to our return to Murray Bridge.
This event includes the “Paul Kruger Economy Run”, for which there is a Club trophy attached. An entry sheet was handed out and participants could estimate the MPG (or nearest to) of fuel used by the nominated vehicle (1965 Ford XP Falcon, Automatic). The winner will be announced at the Presentation Dinner in March, 2016.
We trust that the members present enjoyed this outing as much as we did in bringing it to you.
Attending vehicles and passengers:-
- 1964 E.H. Holden – Trevor and Deidre Kitto
- 1950 Austin A50 – Eric and Pat Kuss
- 1988 V.L. Commodore – Gary Haebich
- 1964 Ford Fairlane Compact – Mary and Ian Rowley
- 1971 Ford Falcon – John and Muriel Trapnell
- 1971 Valiant Coupe – Bayley and Judy Roberts
- 1960 Jaguar – Howard and Myra Wright
- 1948 Morris 10 – Ben and Lorraine Wye
- 1965 Ford X.P. – May and Neil Schubert
- 1977 Holden Torana – Peter and Pat Jennings
- 1967 Morris Mini – Trevor Jericho
Report by Neil and May Schubert